Okay, note to self: When configuring something it’s a good idea to start with the defaults.
Somehow when installing the proxy server module for apache, I used code that wasn’t default. The proxy part worked great. The caching, not so much.
Now though it seems to be working swimmingly. I think the main reason it wasn’t caching properly was the fact that I had cacheDirLength set to 1. That results in a limited number of directories available. I changed it to 4 and depth to 4. That should allow a very large number of cached files.
Also. Just a quick note. This is labeled “Chelsea” because I installed the proxy server to help her get her writing done. I’ll leave it to you to figure out how this is accomplished. 😉